Friday, November 23, 2012

Grandma Alice

Tuna Noodle Casserole... this was ALWAYS the traditional funeral dish when I was growing up. If my mom was cooking it, the only question was "Who died?"....

My Grandma Alice was a short, round, traditional Catholic, little lady through and through! She always sat on her couch with her rosary beads in her hand or right next to her on the table. She was sweet as an angel, but had a little devil on her shoulder. As she aged, she needed to move in with my parents, especially as dementia set in.

One evening, even though there was no known death, my mom made Tuna Noodle Casserole for dinner. We fixed my grandma's plate and set it in front of her on her table tray in front of her seat. She took a bite. The sweet little angel instantly disappeared and the little devil busted on the scene! She immediately spit it out and asked my mom "Why are you feeding me SHIT?".

Of course, we laughed until we cried. She went on for quite awhile about her distaste for the casserole, but in all honesty- we all loved it. It is old fashioned, creamy, hearty, comfort food. I'm pretty confident her mind was gone by then, but it was obvious her taste buds were present, however out of whack!

As my boys grew up, they did not like tuna. I always made the casserole with chicken breast. They loved it. I usually doubled the recipe and it still didn't seem to be enough. It is probably a very common recipe- but I like it because it is so versatile. So with Thanksgiving behind and turkey leftovers abound, this recipe would be a great way to use up some of the extra bird.

It can be made with tuna, chicken, ham, or turkey. I've even added steamed broccoli for a little color. Don't wait for someone to die or for your grandma's taste buds to loose their function. This really is a traditional, yummy casserole and a great way to use your left over turkey.


Tuna (Chicken, Ham, or Turkey) Noodle Casserole
Serves 4-6

1/2 package of extra wide egg noodles cooked according to package directions

14 1/2 oz. cream of chicken soup (or celery or mushroom work as well)
1/2 cup milk
1 cup medium or sharp shredded cheddar cheese

7 oz. white tuna (or chicken or turkey), cooked, and flaked or chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup chopped pimento
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper

1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs

Cook noodles and set aside.

Blend soup and milk in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir and cook until heated through. Add cheddar cheese; continue to stir and cook until cheese is melted. Add remaining ingredients not including bread crumbs. Stir mixture until all ingredients are combined and mixture slightly bubbles. Remove from heat. Combine mixture with cooked noodles. Pour into a 9x13 casserole dish and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake in a pre-heated 425-degree oven for 20-25 minutes until heated throughout and top is golden brown and a bit crispy.

1 comment:

  1. Love your wit, and the story. And Tuna noodle casserole is still my go to comfort meal. I'm gonna try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete